7 Places Your Home May Be Hiding Mold & How To Remove It The Right Way
Mold is a common problem for Tehachapi homeowners. You may have noticed spots of mold on your bathroom ceiling or windowsill, but mold can easily hide in different places and go unnoticed for long periods of time. By the time it is identified, there could be a significant amount of structural damage that needs to be fixed.
You don’t have to tear apart your home to find out if there is a mold problem. There are some subtle signs of mold that you can watch for and take proactive steps if they arise.
- Murky, mildew-like smells. We all know this smell. It’s common in basements and attics. If you notice it, definitely contact a mold removal professional like Alert Disaster to help you with the next steps.
- Surface mold ? Spots of mold in windowsills, on the ceiling, or around the flooring of your basement could indicate a larger mold problem underneath the surface. If you see spots of mold, call a professional to do an evaluation.
- Water damage ? Mold is created mainly through humidity and moisture. If your home has suffered any type of water damage recently, mold could be a new development.
Professional Mold Removal In Tehachapi
Mold isn’t always super easy to spot. It is often a hidden problem in areas of your home that don’t see a lot of traffic, but it can also appear in areas that do. Understanding where mold develops can help you identify it so that it can be removed sooner rather than later.
Here are the top 7 places that your home may be hiding mold:
- Basement: Mold removal experts are no strangers to basement mold. Basements often hold more moisture than other parts of the home and aren’t visited as often, so mold can go unnoticed for quite some time.
- Crawlspace: Crawlspaces are susceptible to mold growth for the same reasons that basements are. However, an additional issue with crawl spaces to be aware of is that moisture from the ground can seep in. Crawlspaces are even less visited than basements so it’s important to be proactive and check on your crawlspace from time to time.
- Kitchen: With the many sources of moisture in a kitchen, it should come as no surprise that it’s a prime target for mold growth. Mold can be caused by dishwasher and refrigerator leaks, broken pipes under the sink, and from problematic plumbing inside the kitchen walls.
- Bathroom: The bathroom can be a nightmare for homeowners. Overflowing bathtubs, toilets, and sinks are a common cause of water disasters that can lead to mold if not cleaned up the right way. Along with plumbing disasters, bathrooms hold a lot of humidity and moisture from showers and bathing which can lead to mold growth.
- Around AC Units: Your HVAC system is an extremely important place to be on the lookout for mold. If the ducts get moldy, mold spores could spread throughout your home. If you suspect mold in your ventilation system, be sure to get it taken care of right away.
- Windowsills: As condensation accumulates on your windowsills, they become a prime target for mold growth. This problem is especially pronounced in high humidity areas.
- Under Carpeting: Fabric surfaces are porous and known for collecting mold. Your carpet and the padding underneath absorb water quickly, so it won’t take for them to become infested with mold if water damage occurs.
Don’t let mold overrun your home! Give us a call at Alert Disaster in Tehachapi today so we can help you remove and repair any mold damage that you may have in your home.