Mold growing in homes and buildings indicates that there is a problem with water or moisture. In order to handle the situation, you must first first identify and eliminate the source. Mold will grow where there is moisture, such as around leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes, or where there has been a flood.
Second, the living areas must be cleared of all contaminated building materials. Carpet, insulation, ceiling tiles, drywall, and wallboard must be removed and replaced. At the same time, you must sterilize or dispose of your wet possessions since mold even grows on paper, cardboard, ceiling tiles, dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery.
This process can be a large, multistep undertaking. In order to determine if you should call for professional help; here are some tips from the EPA and the CDC.
The Environmental Protection Agency has some suggestions to assess a number of factors. One consideration is the size of the mold problem. If the moldy area is less than about 10 square feet (less than roughly a 3 ft. by 3 ft. patch), in most cases, you can handle the job yourself, follow the Mold Cleanup Tips and Techniques. However:
Alert Disaster suggests that if your project looks like more than you can accomplish is 24-48 hours, call for help. You don’t want clean-up (and dry-out) going beyond two days because mold can quickly develop and spread.
Get to it! Clean up and dry out your home thoroughly and quickly immediately after any flooding. Dig out mud, then use a wet vacuum to remove remaining dirt. Scrub cleanable surfaces (such as wood, tile, stone) with soapy water and a bristle brush. Thoroughly clean all hard surfaces (such as flooring, molding, wood and metal furniture, countertops, and sinks) with water and dish detergent.
Dry surfaces quickly and thoroughly after cleaning. If you have fans or a dehumidifier that wasn’t affected by flooding, use them to dry cleaned surfaces.
According to the Centers of Disease Control, mold growth can be removed from hard surfaces with commercial products, soap and water, or a bleach solution of no more than 1 cup (8 ounces) of bleach in 1 gallon of water to kill mold on surfaces. Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners. If you choose to use bleach:.
In conclusion, if you have an extensive amount of mold and you do not think you can manage the cleanup on your own, contact the Bakersfield team with years of experience in cleaning mold in both commercial buildings and Central Valley homes.
Alert Disaster has created a mold solution to protect your family in three steps:
Alert Disaster Restoration, a Bakersfield-born, female-founded, and family-run business, has been proudly servicing the Central Valley community for 15 years. Call for a full service disaster restoration contractor for water damage, fire damage and mold contamination.