Christmas Tree and Holiday Light Safety
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! It’s time to put some Christmas music on and take out those holiday decorations. Decorating the family Christmas tree and putting up holiday lights are the most enjoyable experiences of the season. With all the fun this season brings, make sure to use some safety precautions.
Light Safety Tips
According to the National Fire Protection Agency, line-voltage or decorative lights start an average of 170 home structures each year. The fires cause a 7 deaths, 17 injuries and 7.9 million in property damage yearly.
- Look for UL on the label (Underwriters Laboratories)
- Follow manufacturer guidelines (indoor vs. outdoor)
- Use caution using a ladder: place ladder on solid, level, non-slippery ground
- Disregard any damaged lights: broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, loose connections, etc.
- Per single extension cord: use no more than three standard size light sets
- Avoid hanging lights near loose paper, flammable material, etc.
- Outdoor lights, inflatables, and other decorations should be plugged into outlets protected by ground fault interrupters
- Use extension cords approved for outdoor use
- Never run a light cord under a rug
- Lights should not be allowed to touch carpet, drapes or furniture
- Turn all lights off when you leave the house or when you go to bed
- Take them down after the holidays ? lights are seasonal and for temporary use
Christmas Tree Tips
According to the National Fire Protection Agency, Christmas Trees start an average 250 home structure fires a year. These fires cause an average of 14 deaths, 26 injures and 13.8 million in property damage.
- Make sure live tree has fresh, green needles
- Needles should be hard to pull off the branches
- Cut an additional 2 inches off the trunk
- Keep it watered at all times
- Artificial tress: look for fire resistant label
- Place tree three feet from fireplaces, radiators, space heaters, etc.
- Never use candles to decorate a tree
Alert Disaster Restoration wishes you a safe, fun and enjoyable holiday season!