Emergency Action Plan
When it comes to your families safety, it is always a good idea to have an emergency plan for when a disaster strikes. Like the saying goes: you should hope for the best, but plan for the worst. You must be prepared!
Who Ya Gonna Call? ?
Keep a list of emergency contacts on the refrigerator and program them in your cell phone.
- Local Police Department
- Local hospital
- Poisonous Substance Control
- Local Fire Department
- Red Cross
- State Highway Patrol
- 911?and cell phones: many wireless phones do not offer a way to determine the caller’s location ? always state your location, your ?cell phone number and what happened
- Program home in your cell phone
- Designate someone to be your?ICE contact.?ICE stands for in case of emergency contact. This can be your spouse, a parent, a friend, your doctor, etc. Many emergency responders and hospital personnel know to look for this number.
The Emergency Exit Plan
Talk with your family about an emergency exit route in your home in case of a fire, etc.
- Practice the quickest way to exit the home
- Designate an outside meeting place
- Fire safety: always touch door handles before entering a room to exit
- On upper levels of the house keep a rope ladder handy to use as an escape tool
- Keep an emergency exit map and study it with the family
It’s All in the Kit!
Keep an emergency kit.?The Restoration Industry Association recommends these items:
- Insurance information: health and homeowners policies
- Family photos, irreplaceable mementos/jewelry
- Digital inventory of CD and printout
- Wallet, checkbook and credit cards
- Canned goods, baby food and food for pets
- Can opener/multi-purpose tool/sharp knife
- Bottled water, MREs, water purification tablets
- Work gloves and boots
- Water proof matches and candles
- Transistor radio, flashlight and extra batteries
- Duct tape, electrical tape
- Toiletries, toilet paper, feminine products, diapers, wipes
- First aid kit
- Cell phone, laptop and car chargers
- Extra clothing (socks, underwear)
- Sleeping bag
- Address book, paper, pens
- Medication and prescriptions
- Extra batteries