Not only does the bathroom have lots of water, but it can also harbor lots of water damage. And lots of water damage creates the opportunity for mold. Mold removal in Tehachapi bathrooms can be tricky because of the warm weather – that is one of the reasons that DIY mold removal is not recommended. Although there are many clean, porous surfaces that won’t support mold, water in a bathroom can hide behind walls and lurk under floors. Plus bathrooms typically have poor ventilation and little natural sunlight. All these factors combine to bring mold into your bathroom. While it’s not always obvious, signs of water damage in your bathroom are everywhere. Look for these signs…
Specks and streaks of random colors are a sure sign of trouble: green, orange, black or gray. Mold that reappears after you’ve cleaned is definitely a sign of hidden water damage.
Loose grout and cracked tiles tell you that the moisture has degraded the structural integrity of the materials. When these seals fail, moisture soaks materials under tiles and creates damp conditions that result in water damage and mold growth.
If the laundry in the basket has mold, you have too much moisture in the air and probably have hidden water damage. Warped walls are another definite sign of water damage. The wallboard absorbs water like a sponge and will swell and bend when it gets soaked.
Your nose can clue you into a problem. Is there a damp, musty odor of old books? Contaminated throw rugs can harbor persistent odors. Pervasive musty smells are a sign of mold growing in water-damaged bathroom walls, cabinets and floors.
Moisture behind walls can loosen tiles and cause warps and bubbles in drywall. So if you walk on tile floors and they shift, you need to investigate. Unfortunately, another sign of water damage is when you feel spongy floors. Water can get under the tiles or vinyl; the plywood subfloor can rot and leaves areas feeling soft or spongy underfoot.
Even though human beings have lived safely with mold for millenia, an overgrowth of mold within the home can really aggravate the respiratory systems of sensitive people. Small children and immunocompromised folks can be at risk for serious health concerns. Some common symptoms of exposure are:
Mold is always in the air outdoors; therefore it is always able to float into your home. In normal conditions, mold is not a problem for people and pets. If the conditions become unbalanced with too much moisture, low light, poor ventilation, and a food source then the mold can flourish. It is the airborne spores that can make people sick.
So, as a homeowner, there are a few ways for you to know for sure. A cotton swab dipped in diluted bleach (1 part bleach, 16 parts water) can make a quick test. If you dab it on the wall and the spot quickly lightens (or keeps coming back after cleaning), assume it’s mold.
Over-the-counter mold testing kits test samples collected either from the air or from the surface in question. Some give you results right away, while others ask you to package the samples and send them back to a lab for a professional examination.
However, testing to know the specific type of mold is usually irrelevant. The sight and smell of mold is enough reason to call in the professionals. Alert Disaster will inspect the entire home and treat any suspicious areas to control mold in the future.
If you see, smell, or feel the health effects of mold in your home, you’ll want reliable restoration professionals to consult. Alert Disaster Restoration is an independent firm with the skills, resources, and spirit to support you through this challenging time. The team will keep your home, family, and possessions safe from future damage, as well. Call Alert Disaster for a full-service disaster restoration contractor for any water damage, fire damage, and mold contamination.