Steps To Prepare For Flood Cleanup
Since all homeowners in Bakersfield should be prepared for the possibility of flood damage to their home, the flood cleanup experts at Alert Disaster Restoration have put together 10 response steps that will help keep you safe and ensure a better and faster flood cleanup for your home and property.
Flood Cleanup In Bakersfield
Responding to Flood Damage in your Home:
- Contact your Insurance Agency. Whether or not your policy covers water damage from flooding, it is still important to reach out to your homeowners insurance and let them know what has happened. It is also beneficial to let your insurance agency know which restoration company you are working with. Most restoration companies have experience working with insurance companies and will be able to help file claims or answer questions you may have.
- Evaluate the structural integrity before entering a flooded area. When in doubt, do not enter at all until a qualified structural builder or engineer has cleared the home.
- Take appropriate steps to ensure safety. Make sure power to the area is turned off.
- Young children and pets should be kept out of the affected area.
- Wear personal protective clothing (rubber gloves, boots, etc.) if you have to be in contact with water, and treat all water as if it is contaminated. Since flood water is considered category 2 water, try to avoid any contact with it if at all possible.
- Document the damage that has been done. Take photos of the damage your property has ensued, and make a detailed list of damaged inventory. An adjuster will be sent to your home to evaluate the loss, but do not wait for them to arrive before you begin documenting it yourself. Photos and documentation will help to prove loss mitigation.
- Open doors and windows to allow ventilation. Airflow will discourage microbial growth.
- Remove furniture or standing items that can be taken out of the area. Any belongings in the affected area will need to be removed before cleanup and restoration can begin, and items that have been damaged beyond repair will only take up space and hold onto unnecessary moisture in the area.
- Do not panic. It is stressful and overwhelming when dealing with flooding in your home. However, if you can stay, things will be much easier to deal with. One of the best ways to stay calm is to let someone else handle the cleanup process, leading to the next step…
- Call a professional water damage restoration company. Alert Disaster Restoration provides superior flood cleanup services in Bakersfield. We are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so that we can be there whenever the flooding occurs. We will respond within 30 minutes so that we can quickly secure your property and minimize the extent of the damage. It doesn’t matter how big or small the flood damage is, Alert Disaster Restoration has the equipment, talent, experience, and expertise to swiftly clean and restore the damage to your property. We also work with all insurance companies and can assist with your claim to reduce delays and keep the cleanup process moving.